It took us about two weeks to have everything at the house in order enough to live there and to have time to restore/fix up the old shed out back enough to bring the chickens over. We finally had it all ready and transported our six chickens into 3 apple boxes. That was Monday night.
On Thursday night I left to go on vacation with the kids. Brandon called just as we got there and told me all the chickens had broken free from the coop and were gone. I was so sad. I just hoped all night that they would be ok and come back in the morning. On Friday morning Brandon found the neighbor kid outside trying to herd 5 of the chickens back into our yard. Chicken herding is not easy. Brandon and the kid managed to get 4 chickens back into the coop but the last one disappeared. Later Brandon found the sixth chicken half eaten, so we knew she was a goner. The four chickens are now safe in the coop.
All weekend we wondered about that fifth chicken that Brandon had seen. Today when I came home from vacation Brandon walked in and said there was a chicken in the neighbors yard! We got some oatmeal and went on a chicken hunt. After chasing her for 20 minutes she finally treed herself and I was able to grab her feet and carry her home. She'd been living on her own for five days. Super lucky chicken!
Pictures: Daddy and Lala herding chickens two weeks ago at Grandma Wood's house.


1 comment:
I remember Kim having chickens for pets in Suisun City. They're not easy pets to care for. Dad
Post a Comment