Friday, February 22, 2013

Ruthann Sharon Powell

Introducing:
Ruthann Sharon Powell
February 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM
7lbs 11oz, 19 inches
Born at 40+3 weeks
On February 21, 2013 Katy and I were sitting in the living room around 10PM talking while Uncle Harlow played with the four kids downstairs.  Suddenly I felt warm and wet, and a moment later realized that my water had broken.  Luckily for me, I had just folded the laundry and had a nice stack of towels sitting just in front of us.  Katy grabbed a few and I wiped up the mess and headed to take a shower.  I tried calling Brandon’s cell, he was at work, but he didn’t answer because there is no service on the lower decks of the ferries. 
 
After my shower we loaded all the kids up to head over to Uncle Harlow and Auntie Katy’s house.  I tucked Isaac and Lydia into bed, and waited for Daddy to finally come home.  At around midnight we headed for the hospital.  I still wasn’t 100% sure that my water had broken, mostly because I still didn’t feel anything else going on and it was late and I was tired.  We checked into the hospital, and they ran a fluid swap and we got two pick lines, signifying that I was indeed leaking fluid.  I got hooked up to the monitor and we listened to baby’s heartbeat and they filled me full of antibiotics because I was positive for group B strep.   At about 3 AM I finally started to feel some contractions.  They were about five minutes apart and about 45 seconds long.  My pain level went from 0 to about a 7 in what seemed like seconds flat.  The next time the nurse came in, at about 4:30 I asked for the epidural and at about 5:15 I was in my happy place.  Contracting every 3-4 minutes and only feeling slight pressure. 


 
When you’re Group B positive and your water has broken, the risk of infection is very high so they don’t like to check you very often.  In fact, I still hadn’t been checked at all.  Around 6:15 my doctor came to see how things were going before heading in to work.  He checked me and I was dilated to a 6-7.  Progress!  I was super happy to hear that.  The decided they would check me again at about 7 to see how fast I was progressing, but Brandon and I finally fell asleep at this point so they just let us sleep until about 8.  When the nurse checked me at 8 I was dilated to an 8 and I decided I needed to call Mom, Sarah, and Katy and tell them to get their booties to the hospital!  Just then Sarah walked in, so I made her call Mom and Katy.  We chatted for an hour or so, during which I kept telling Sarah that I really wanted to push, but she kept telling me that I’d better keep that kid in until Mom and Katy got there. 
 
Once Mom and Katy arrived (about 9:00) I told the nurse that I felt like I was ready to push.  She didn’t seem to believe me, but I knew that it was getting close.  I told her a few more times while she was getting things ready, but she kept telling me that I wasn’t far enough along yet.  At about 9:30 the doctor came back.  He said he hadn’t heard from the nurse yet, but he wanted to see how I was doing.  I told him I wanted to push.  He said, let’s check you.  I was dilated to a ten.  Then he had me do one practice half push and said, whoa, no more pushing.  He quickly put on his doctor gown and had the nurse get everything ready to push out our new baby.  On the next contraction I pushed and about half of her head was visible.  I had a few minutes to wait until the next contraction.  I pushed and on that second push, our came our beautiful purple baby.  The nurses laid her in my lap, rubbed her clean and Daddy cut the cord.  She screamed bloody murder.  It was beautiful.  She was born at 9:43 AM.  11 hours and 30 minutes after my water had broken. 




 
The nurses took her over to the warming table, got her all cleaned up and let me hold her while the doctor helped me deliver the placenta and stitched a small tear.  After a few minutes of cuddle time from all of her new family, the nurses weighed and measured little Ruthie.  She was 7lbs 11oz and 19 inches long, our beautiful little girl. 
We are so grateful to have Ruthie in our lives.  This afternoon Isaac and Lydia were able to come visit us at the hospital and meet their new baby sister.  Isaac kept saying over and over how beautiful and small and cute his new sister was.  They each took turns holding Ruthie the Baby, as they called her.  Lydia kept saying that it was so fun that the baby wasn’t in Mommy’s tummy anymore.  A few times both kids were jumping for joy that their baby was finally here. 
Ruthie and Mommy are doing great.  We are expecting to be checked out of the hospital tomorrow afternoon. 

9 comments:

alanna said...

Congratulations friends. :)

*And you have no idea how impressed I am that you have this posted already!

garysharon said...

Impressed, we are, too! Both Sharon and I are pleased with the name. Original name, but not too strange! Now both mom and I have grandchildren named after us! Dad

5 ibarras said...

Heather, I'm so happy for you! And also super impressed you already posted. I love reading people's birth stories :-) Congratulations!

Tina Crowther said...

Sounds like a great birth! Not too painful, or dramatic! Glad you're both doing well! Congratulations!

Our Biggs Family said...

Congrats.

Krystal said...

Wow! That sounds wonderful! You look so happy. Congratulations!

Andrea said...

congratulations on your growing family! I can only imagine how much crazy fun happens at your house...

garysharon said...

Sorry we missed her birth but so glad she is here and everything went well. She is a sweety and of course I love the name. It's fun seeing how Isaac & Lydia love her. Mom

Alanna said...

Congrats

Blog Archive