Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween Reminiscences

Looking at all the pictures of Thomas, Spring, Sammy, and Mary made me think of my childhood halloweens. Almost every year I was a witch, with the same custume, at least until Alice got old enough to invent our costumes from random household items. One year we were hugs and kisses, dressed in tin foil with the Hershey's flag and everything. She sure was a dreamer. Nobody came up with schemes like she did. Then Kesly Andersen, a family friend (we thought we were cousins for a long time, then we found out our parents made up a lie), would come over. One of the older kids would then drive us around to go to different houses. Ususally it was Sarah and Vic, but Rachel, Sarah, and Bruce all took their turns I'm sure. We would take out pillowcases to gather our candy in and refuse to come home until they were full. We'd go through all the neighborhoods in Poulsbo that we could find. I loved it. Then we'd come home and sort our candy by size and type. All the reeses together with the bigs ones lined up in a row. Then we trade. Alice could convince us to trade for anything. She sure was a talker. I bet if she'd tried she could have convinced us to jump off a bridge, in fact she did convince me to once when I was little. She was too scared, and then she had to come save me because I couldn't swim so she had to jump even though she was scared. The trading would last for hours, then we'd end up playing our favorite art trading game until Kes fell asleep, he always fell asleep first. Then the day after we'd resort our candy and the negotiations would start over. That would last until all our candy was eaten. Then funny thing was we'd spend all that time trading and then Mom and Dad would steal it from us! Good times. Good times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what parents are supposed to do...don't worry-you will soon get that opportunity as well!!! YEs, all that candy was from 10 houses, but that wasn't anything...they had about 3 times that much from trunk or treat the night before. THey just put it all in 2 big bowls on top of the fridge...then we let them choose a couple at a time. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts of your Halloween memories. I think the sorting thing must be common for lots of people!

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing about your family Halloween tradition. Our childhood memories are important and they hold families together throughout our life times.

Anonymous said...

It's always fun to reminice our childhoods. I love family traditions. It's what holds families together. I also have to tell you that just today i had significant car problems and remembered my instittute discussion from this week and the blog that you wrote about seeing God's hand in your life when you guys had car problems. I was able to have a positive attitude becuase I could focus on how the Lord was blessing me in this situation.

Blog Archive